When an airport has an active ground controller, permission must be requested before any action is taking place, for example, when starting to taxi, push back, or cross a runway.
Every instruction sent by the ground controller must be complied with. Failure to comply can result in temporary ghosting from the server.
List of available commands
Before Take off
- Make sure you are tuned to the Ground Frequency of the airport you're at
- Send a Ready to Taxi message (start with Pushback if you're in a Jet at a Gate)
- Ground will respond with taxi instructions to an active runway, as well as an authorization to switch to Tower Frequency when ready.
- Acknowledge the instruction by sending the Acknowledge message, then start taxiing.
- Once you are 1st in line, for take off, contact Tower frequency. Select Back, then choose the tower frequency for your airfield.
Waiting for take off, do not cross the hold short line. (line that goes through the taxiway)
- You can chose a specific runway in the Request Taxi message. ATC will try to accommodate requests if traffic permits.
- Never cross a runway without prior authorization from the control tower. Hold short of the runway, then send the Request Runway Crossing message. (stop well before your airplane is on the runway, there typically are lines across the taxiway that indicate where to stop)
- Stay on the tarmac, no taxiing through the grass.
- It is not necessary to ask for a frequency change from Ground to Tower when you are ready, you've already been authorized when ground issued the taxi instructions.
- Do not contact tower before you're next in line for take off. You can monitor the frequency, but do not request for take off yet.
- Landing Lights can be on, but on the ground, Strobe Lights must remain off, especially at night to avoid blinding other pilots.
- Upon landing, tower will instruct to exit the runway and contact ground. Switch to ground when you're off the runway.
- Contact ground and send the Request Taxi message. You can either ask to go to parking or back to another runway.
Make sure taxi past the hold short line before contacting ground
- Runways are not a place to hang out on, try to exit the runway as soon as practical to keep take off and landing operations as smooth as possible.